Training Category: Leadership Ministry
Perhaps you sense God calling you to be a leader. The kind of leader you will tend to be could grow out of the spiritual gifts He has given you and/or your personality. For more about finding your best fit, read: Ministry Profile Overview
Kind of Leadership Based on Spiritual Gifts
You will find three different spiritual gifts most frequently used by God in those He calls to be leaders in His Church. (Click on links to learn more about the gifts.)
People with the spiritual gift of leadership tend to be visionary leaders (goal-oriented).
People with the spiritual gift of administration tend to be administrative leaders (task-oriented).
People with the spiritual gift of pastor tend to be shepherding leaders (people-oriented).
Personality Can Affect the Kind of Leader You Are
To learn more about the different types of personalities mentioned below, go to: Ministry Profile: How Your Personality Fits
To learn more about your own temperament, check out the resources at our PeopleKeys affiliate by clicking on the image.
- If you have a more goal-oriented bent of the Choleric temperament (D of DISC), you could tend to be a visionary leader.
- If you have the discipline and resourcefulness of the choleric (D of DISC) or the organized efficiency of the phlegmatic (S of DISC) or the attention to detail of the melancholic (C of DISC), you could tend to be an administrative leader.
- If you have the people-oriented ways of the sanguine (I of DISC) or phlegmatic (S of DISC) temperaments, you could tend to be a shepherding leader.
God May Use You to Provide More Than One Type of Leadership
A person could have a combination of the typical leadership gifts hence suggesting that God could want him/her to be involved in leadership capacities that require a blend of two or even the three types of leadership.
A person could have a spiritual gift that takes him/her into one type of leadership and a personality that enables him/her to do another type of leadership, suggesting that God could want him/her to be involved in leadership capacities that require a blend of two or even three types of leadership.
God May Want You to Look to Others to Bring More Balance
If you don’t have a combination of spiritual gifts or personality that bring in the dynamic of each type of leadership, the ministry could lack balance. Think about doing one of the following:
- Purposefully include each type of leader on the leadership team.
- Consult with and/or delegate responsibilities to those who are gifted for areas you are not.
The Leadership Ministry Manual includes the content in this post and also looks at what happens when one of these types of leadership is missing.