Connecting with God about Unsaved People
"I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone . . . This is good and pleases God our Savior, who wants all men to be saved and to come to a knowledge of truth" (1 Tim. 2:1-4).
Before connecting people with God, connect with God about people. And, continue to connect with God about people throughout the whole process. Why? -- Because it is Biblical. Because it works. Because it demonstrates love. Because outreach is about God.
- God made us His royal priesthood and so it is our priestly duty. (1 Peter 2:5,9; Rev. 1:6)
- God set the precedent through Biblical models and so we should do likewise. (Gen. 18:23-32 - Abraham; Ex. 32:7-14, 31-32 - Moses; I Kings 18:36-37 - Elijah; and others, including Jesus)
- God's desire is for people to be saved and so we pray for His will to be done. (Ezek. 33:11; Lk. 19:10; 1 Tim. 2:3-4; 2 Pet. 3:9; Matt. 6:10)
- God has an enemy, Satan, who does not want His will to be done and so we need to submit ourselves to God and stand in His power and authority over the enemy. (Lk. 8:11-12; Jn. 12:31-32; 14:30; 16:11; Eph. 6:10-18; James 4:7-10; Rev. 12:9)
- God looks for people to stand in the gap and so we should be available to Him. (Ps. 106:23; Isa. 59:16; Ezek. 22:30-31)
- God works through prayer and so it only makes sense for prayer to be an integral part of any outreach effort. (James 5:16-18)
We are to pray for all people because "God wants all men to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth." Other issues related to outreach merit our prayers as well. Pray . . .
- that the Lord of the harvest would send forth laborers (Matt. 9:36-38)
- that we would have boldness and clarity in sharing the Gospel (Eph. 6:18-20; Col. 4:4)
- that doors would open (Rom. 15:30-32; Col. 4:3; 2 Thess. 3:1-2)
- that God's protection would be upon us as we spread the message of the Gospel (2 Thess. 3:1-3)
The Outreach Ministry Manual takes a closer look at 1 Timothy 2:1-4 about interceding on behalf of others for their salvation along with some questions to personalize this truth.
Want more training & resources on prayer?