Let's help people in and because of the love and compassion of Jesus Christ. Here you will find some resources to help you know how to get practically involved in meeting people's needs through practical assistance, comforting the bereaved, counseling, crisis intervention, and providing support.
Click on a tab below to view a list of resources for the various ways we can help people.
Many of the links below will take you to articles on other sites or to one of our affiliate stores. While seeking to choose sites and books that are doctrinally sound the Ministry Tools Resource Center makes no claim to total endorsement of any listing. Links to other sites will open in a new page to allow you to keep the list available to look at additional people helping ministry resources.
Encouraging One Another in Our Hurts & Struggles
- Article: Christ-like Communication: Attentive
- Article: Christ-like Communication: Awareness
- Article: Compassion: More than a Feeling?
- Article: Compassion: More than an Option?
- Article: Encouragement Needed: Why
- Article: Encouragement Needed: Who
- Article: Encouragement Needed: How
- Article: Putting Yourself in Someone Else's Shoes - Why?
- Article: Putting Yourself in Someone Else's Shoes - How?
- Article: Too Proud or Afraid to Ask for Help?
- Article: Two Kinds of Sensitive: The Healthy Kind
- Cards: Hope & Encouragement Cards from DaySpring
- Cards: Praying for You & Difficult Times Cards from DaySpring
- Cards: Thinking of You Cards from DaySpring
- Book: Helping Ministry Manual by Ministry Tools Resource Center
- Book: Helping Those Who Hurt: Reaching Out to Your Friends In Need by H. Norman Wright
- Book: Helping Those Who Hurt: A Handbook for Caring and Crisis by Barbara Roberts
- Devotional: Walk the Walk Even When It Hurts Devotional Guide by Ministry Tools Resource Center
- Worksheet: Ministering to Students with Hurting Hearts Worksheet by Ministry Tools Resource Center
Providing Benevolence - Practical Assistance Resources
- Article: Doing Good & Sharing?
- Article: The Church's Purpose to Love People Is Expressed Through Benevolence
- Article: Practical Assistance - Meeting Physical Needs
- Article: Four Things to Consider Before Starting a Food Pantry
- Book: Helping Without Hurting in Church Benevolence: A Practical Guide to Walking with Low-Income People by Steve Corbett, Brian Kiffert, Katie Casselberry
- General Resources: Benevolence Resources
- Targeted Resources: Homeless People
- Targeted Resources: Persecuted Christians
- Targeted Resources: Widows (under 'Marital Status' tab on that page)
Comforting People who are Grieving - Bereavement Resources
- Article: Comforting & Helping People Through Their Loss and Grieving
- Article: Funeral Helps (funeral/graveside messages and more)
- Article: Helping People Through Their Loss
- Article: How To Support Grieving School Aged Children And Teens
- Article: Supporting Young Children After A Death
- Article: Why We Fail the Grieving
- Book: A Grace Disguised by Gerald L. Sittser
- Book: Comfort the Grieving: Ministering God's Grace in Times of Loss by Paul Tautges, Brian Croft
- Book: Conduct Gospel-Centered Funerals by Brian Croft, Phil A. Newton
- Book: Harsh Grief, Gentle Hope by Mary A. White
- Book: Helping People Through Grief by Delores Kuenning
- Book: Ministering to the Mourning: A Practical Guide for Pastors, Church Leaders, and Other Caregivers by David Wiersbe, Warren Wiersbe
- Book: Recovering from Losses in Life by H. Norman Wright
- Book for Helping Children: Heaven's Not a Crying Place: Teaching Your Child About Funerals, Death, and the Life Beyond by Joey O'Connor
- Book for Helping Children: My Heart Is Sad, When Someone Special Dies by Connie Owens
- Book for Helping Children: Wait Until Then: A Picture Book About Heaven by Randy Alcorn, Doran Ben-Ami
- Book for Helping Children: What Happens When We Die? by Carolyn Nystrom
- Book for Helping Teens: My Friend is Struggling With . . . Death of a Loved One by Josh McDowell & Ed Stewart (for youth)
- Cards: Sympathy Cards from DaySpring
- Resource Site: GriefShare
- Resource Site: Growing Seasons (for children)
- Resource Site: Hospice Foundation of America
- Resource Site: Hospice Net
Coming Alongside of Others - Counseling Resources
- Article: Counseling as a Helping Ministry
- Article: How Much Do You Need to Understand Mental Illness to Come Along Side?
- Article: Listening Communicates That You Care
- Article: So you want to be a Christian Counselor!
- Book: Caring for People God's Way: Personal and Emotional Issues, Addictions, Grief, and Trauma by Dr. Tim Clinton, Dr. Archibald D. Hart, George Ohlschlager
- Book: Christian Counseling by Gary R. Collins
- Book: Competent Christian Counseling: Pursuing and Practicing Compassionate Soul Care by Timothy Clinton, George Ohlschlager
- Book: Instruments in the Redeemer's Hands: People in Need of Change, Helping People in Need of Change by Paul David Tripp
- Book: Introduction to Psychology and Counseling by Frank Minirth, Paul Meier, Donald Ratcliff
- Book: Lay Counseling: Equipping Christians for a Helping Ministry by Siang-Yang Tan, Eric T. Scalise
- Book: The Biblical Basis of Christian Counseling for People Helpers: Relating the Basic Teachings of Scripture to People's Problems by Gary R. Collins
- Book: The New Christian Counselor: A Fresh Biblical and Transformational Approach by Ron Hawkins, Tim Clinton
- Book: 12 Steps : A Spiritual Journey (Tools for Recovery) by Friends in Recovery
- Resource Site: American Association of Christian Counselors
Helping Those Who are Overwhelmed - Crisis Intervention Resources
- Article: Crisis Intervention
- Article: Don't Just Survive, Thrive: Need for Presence
- Article: In the Midst of Crisis, Rise Above
- Article: In the Midst of Crisis, Pray
- Article: In the Midst of Crisis, Give Thanks
- Article: What Not to Say When the Unthinkable Happens
- Book: Comforting Children in Crisis by Group Publishing
- Book: Comforting Friends in Crisis (Adults) by Group Publishing
- Book: Comforting Teens in Crisis by Group Publishing
- Book: Comforting Women in Crisis by Group Publishing
- Book: The Complete Guide to Crisis & Trauma Counseling: What to Do and Say When It Matters Most! by Dr. H. Norman Wright
- Resources: Precipitation Events
- Resources: Intensifying Factors
- Resources: Natural Disasters & Tragedies
- Resources: If the person is depressed
- Resources: If the person is suicidal
- Worksheet: Crisis Strikes Worksheet Download by Ministry Tools Resource Center
May people see Christ in you and be drawn to Him as you reach out with His love and compassion. Use these People Helping Ministry Resources for ideas in how to help but always remember that our greatest resource is God Himself.