Holidays affect the normal flow of church life whether intentional or not. Pastors, teachers, ministry leaders and workers should be aware of the effects of holidays and make the most of them.
Attendance: Holidays often bring a fluctuation in attendance. Regular attendees might be absent due to travel and visitors might be present as they are spending the holidays with your church member families.
- TIP: Be prepared for a different group dynamic. Be sensitive to newcomers. Use it as time to share the Gospel. Don't bemoan who isn't there. Remember them in prayer and maximize the time with those who are there.
Calendar of Events: Holidays often pull focus from normal church life in planning, resources, and emphasis.
- TIP: Use holidays to bring home points not usually done throughout the year but remember that there are still on-going needs and ministry to be addressed. Don't lose focus on the essentials. Build margins into your schedule to be available for on-going ministry.
Classroom: Holidays often become a distraction, especially for children. Students might be less focused, more talkative, and more wiggly than usual.
- TIP: Meet students where they are. Incorporate more active methodology and variety than normal. Keep segments shorter to allow for shorter attention spans. Don't fight it. Plan time into the session for them to talk about the event.
Resource: Intruders in the Classroom: Holidays & Other Special Events
Giving: Holidays often bring a fluctuation in giving, sometimes more and sometimes less.
- TIP: Establish a means for those traveling for the holidays to still give to the ongoing work of the church. Plan for ways to use extra giving that is over and beyond the budget for special projects, benevolence, etc. Don't pressure people. At the same time, keep stewardship and the vision before them.
Members' Lives: Holidays often are a more stressful, busier, and even an emotionally difficult time.
- TIP: Be sensitive to people's schedules and distractions in the way you plan. Be available for counsel, to pray with and assist them as needed. Don't add more stress and turmoil to their lives. Be a beacon of light and comfort to help them navigate these times.
More about the Holidays:
Interested in Printing a Copy?
Holiday Ministry Resources:
Click a Holiday below for List of Ministry Resources: