Nuts & Bolts Ministries: Principles for Serving
How to Serve as Unto the Lord
People who do the Nuts and Bolts types of ministries (i.e., clerical, communications, facilities & grounds maintenance, hospitality, staff support, technical services, and other service-oriented tasks), are usually not the ones in positions of leadership. They often work in cooperation with leaders or teachers. In a sense we can say that they do the bidding of another. Notice that we are not saying that they are subservient or of less value, but rather than they often are not the primary decision makers. In that context, we can pull some principles from Ephesians 6:5-9.
Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ. Obey them not only to win their favor when their eye is on you, but as slaves of Christ, doing the will of God from your heart. Serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving the Lord, not people, because you know that the Lord will reward each one for whatever good they do, whether they are slave or free.
And masters, treat your slaves in the same way. Do not threaten them, since you know that he who is both their Master and yours is in heaven, and there is no favoritism with him.
How people in Nuts and Bolts Ministries should serve as unto the Lord:
- Remember that you are part of something bigger. Don't get so consumed with what you have to do that you forget it must gel with what others are doing.
- Be respectful and considerate of those who are benefiting from what you do.
- Be filled with integrity in terms of motivations as well as actual ministry.
- Do what you do as if you were doing it for the Lord Jesus Himself.
- Let go of the need to be noticed for what you do.
- Do your best in whatever you do at all times even if only you will know what you've done.
- Remember that God sees and rewards what you do, and that is what truly matters, not the affirmation or applause of others.
How teachers and leaders who benefit from the people doing Nuts and Bolts types of ministry should respond in the Lord:
- Treat them as equals in the Lord with the same respect and consideration you expect from them.
- Be patient with them and teachable when they present different ways of doing things than what you might envision.
- Remember that you both must ultimately answer to the Lord so work together to do His bidding.
- Express appreciation to everyone who assists you in these ways.