Sunday School has been used by God through the years as a means of nurturing spiritual growth in His people. It has also been a platform for outreach and assimilation of newcomers into church life. While the Sunday School programs in many churches might need to be revitalized, it still has potential to fulfill these objectives. Here are some resources to help.
Click on a tab below to view a list of resources of general Sunday School help, or for Sunday School curriculum, other resources, or for help in the administration of or teaching in this church program.
Many of the links below will take you to articles on other sites or to one of our affiliate stores. While seeking to choose sites and books that are doctrinally sound the Ministry Tools Resource Center makes no claim to total endorsement of any listing. Links to other sites will open in a new page to allow you to keep the list available to look at additional Sunday School ministry resources.
- What to Look for in Choosing Curriculum
- Can't Always Blame Curriculum If Bible Teaching Not Going Well
- The Role of Curriculum in Teaching the Bible
Options in Sunday School Curriculum to Fit Your Situation
- Looking for something suitable for multiple ages in one class?
13 Very ... Small Group Solutions for Kids - Standard Publishing
For: mixed-age classes of children ages 6 through 12
"ideal for use during adult small groups, at house churches, in Sunday school, and with evening programs in smaller churches. Sessions are geared to a range of ages, and there's almost no prep required."
All in One Sunday School - Group Publishing
For: mixed-age classes of children ages 4 through 12
"will work in any ministry, but it's especially great for smaller churches that combine classes every Sunday. Also good for large churches that combine ages during summer and for any other multi-age class setting"
All Together Now by Group Publishing
For: mixed-age classes of children ages 4 through 12
"It's a great resource for smaller churches, midweek services, or anytime you have children of different ages together in church."
- Looking for graded curriculum but synchronized for all ages (same Bible truth for each group)?
Answers Bible Curriculum - Answers in Genesis
For: Preschool, Grades 1-2, Grades 3-4, Grades 5-6, Jr. High, High School, Adults
"a full-featured, chronological, 3-year Sunday school program. ... Each group covers Genesis through Revelation and learns the same material - but at different levels of depth - empowering exciting and easy discussion for the entire family"
Faith Weaver NOW - Group Publishing
For: Infants - Toddlers & 2s, Preschool, Pre-K & Kindergarten, Grades 1-2, Grades 3-4, Grades 5-6, Middle School/Jr. High, High School/Sr. High, Adults/Parents
"supports the family as the primary setting for spiritual growth by having each family member cover the same Bible story in their class. ... Learners explore the Old Testament chronologically during the summer and fall quarters. Winter and spring quarters, lessons focus on the New Testament."
- Looking for graded curriculum with a Small Group / Large Group structure?
Living Inside Out - Group Publishing
For: Preschool, Lower Elementary, Upper Elementary
"combines high-energy large groups and relationship-building small groups to inspire kids to live out their faith everyday, everywhere ... in front of everyone"
Grapple - Group Publishing
"Dig into the real-life issues they are dealing with every day ... attention-grabbing lessons, discussion-sparking videos and access to creating your own, easy-to-use website to take Biblical learning to a whole new level (password-protected access to www.MyGrapple.com for you and anywhere between 10 to an unlimited number of users, depending on your group's size)."
- Looking for graded curriculum that requires low preparation?
Buzz - Group Publishing
For: Preschool, Pre-K & Kindergarten, Grades 1-2, Grades 3-4, Grades 5-6
"made for busy volunteers - sweet and simple - but still created for the faith growth that you expect from Group. If it's in the lesson, it's in the box - and lesson prep's as simple as praying for kids in the class."
- Looking for graded curriculum with lots of active, hands-on learning?
Hands On Bible Curriculum - Group Publishing
For: Toddlers & 2s, Preschool, Pre-K & Kindergarten, Grades 1-2, Grades 3-4, Grades 5-6
"age-appropriate, hands-on colorful, fun gizmos that lead kids straight to the heart of a Bible lesson and make it easier to remember ... teaching tools in the Learning Lab let you capture the attention of even your bounciest child!"
- Looking for digital, online Sunday School or Small Group curriculum?
Click below for Group Publishing's Digital Curriculum
David C. Cook provides a digital curriculum, Rio, for first through sixth grade
- Looking for DVD based curriculum?
- Adult DVD Video Curriculum
- Youth (Teen) DVD Video Curriculum
- Children's DVD Series: What's in the Bible? Church Edition
- Looking for other types of Sunday School Curriculum?
- Bible in Life: Toddlers - Adult - by David C. Cook"Recognizes life needs of students and reveals biblical and practical application; Incorporates teaching methods to developmental abilities of each age group; Enables teachers to reach every student according to the individual learning styles"
- PreSchool: PreK & K - by Gospel Light"Music, games, art projects, skits and other fun activities draw children to God and His love!"
- Give Me Jesus: Grade 1-4 - by Gospel Light"Each session has an easy-to-follow 1-2-3 plan for teaching: Get Thinking, Get God's Word, Get Talking. In addition, every lesson has a Big Idea (why the lesson will make a difference in kids' lives) and an Action Plan (helps the teacher focus on what kids can do in this session to apply the Big Idea to Life)."
- The Edge: Grades 5-6 - by Gospel Light"Small-group activities and discussions. A new design that makes it easy to lead students in creative activities and inductive Bible study."
- HeartShaper: Toddlers - Grade 6 - by Standard Publishing"Children of all ages discover God's love and interact with the Bible in a way that helps them connect to God, Jesus, the church, family, and others."
- Encounter: Teens - by Standard Publishing"Help teens meet God face-to-face. .. Each step of this lesson plan contains two options, allowing the teacher to choose from activities best suited to his or her teens. Options include "hands-on" activities such as drama, art, and games as well as intellectually engaging research, reporting, and discussion."
- Lesson Quarterly: Adults - by Standard Publishing"takes students through a six-year plan to survey the Bible."
General Information about Sunday School
- Article: Is Sunday School Dying?
- Article: Is Sunday School Old-Fashioned?
- Article: Is Sunday School Teaching Our Kids Real Faith?
- Article: So, what about Sunday School?
- Book: Building Blocks for Sunday School Growth by Bo Prosser, Michael McCullar, Charles Qualls
- Book: Rediscovering the Sunday School by Talmadge Johnson, Stan Johnson
- Book: Revitalizing the Sunday Morning Dinosaur by Ken Hemphill
- Book: Sunday School Changes Everything: Your Church's Best Opportunity to Reach the Next Generation for Christ by Henrietta C. Mears
- Book: Sunday School That Really Excels: Real Life Examples of Churches with Healthy Sunday Schools by Steve R. Parr
- Book: Sunday School That Really Responds: Wisdom for Confronting Common Sunday School Emergencies by Steve R. Parr
- Book: Sunday School That Really Works: A Strategy for Connecting Congregations and Communities by Steve R. Parr
- Book: Sunday School That Works!: The Complete Guide to Maximize Your Childrens Ministry's Impact by Christine Yount Jones
- Book: What Every Pastor Should Know About Sunday School by Elmer L. Towns, Stan Toler
Administrative Help for Sunday School Programs:
- Article: Measuring Effectiveness of Sunday School Ministry
- Article: So, You Were Asked to be the Sunday School Superintendent!
- Article: Sunday School During Summer Months
- Book: How to Have a Great Sunday School by Wes & Sheryl Haystead
- Book: Sunday School Attendance Boosters: 165 Fresh and New Ideas by Group Publishing Inc
- Book: Sunday School Promo Pages by Sheryl Haystead
- Book: Sunday School Smart Pages by Wes Haystead
Resources & Supplies to Help in the Implementation of Sunday School:
- Appreciation Certificates for Sunday School Workers
- Attendance Charts & Record Books
- Borders, Trim, Banners
- Crafts Books, Kits, & Ideas
- Classroom Furniture, Tables, Boards, Storage Supplies
- Maps and Charts
- Postcards for Absentees, Birthdays, Follow-up, Etc.
- Posters for Classroom Walls
- Promotion Certificates
- Record Keeping: Books, Envelopes, Forms for Attendance, Enrollment, Visitors, etc.
- Rugs (carpets that illustrate Bible truths)
- Sunday School Songs
- Visual Boards & Easels
Help for Sunday School Teachers:
- Article: Factors to Consider in Sunday School Teachers Training
- Articles: Online Teacher Training at MinTools.com
- Article: Students Evaluating Their Teachers
- Article: Sunday School Teaching as a Shepherding Ministry
- Book: Help! I'm a Sunday School Teacher! by Ray Johnston
- Book: What Every Sunday School Teacher Should Know by Elmer L. Towns
- Teacher Training: Resources Published by Ministry Tools Resource Center
- Teacher Training: TrainBibleTeachers.com
- Teaching Resources: More Helps for Sunday School Teachers
May God use the Sunday School at your church to build up His people. These resources will help but always remember to seek God's wisdom for how to use these ideas in your setting to truly makes a difference.