People who are grieving, trying to break addictions, or facing a host of other life challenges can benefit from a study that provides God's perspective on their suffering or struggles. These resources can be used in Christian support groups or to increase your understanding of the issues.
Click on a tab below to view a list of either general or specific issues for which you might have a support group.
Many of the links below will take you to articles on other sites or to one of our affiliate stores. While seeking to choose sites and books that are doctrinally sound the Ministry Tools Resource Center makes no claim to total endorsement of any listing. Links to other sites will open in a new page to allow you to keep the list available to look at additional support groups resources.
General Recovery Resources
Celebrate Recovery Curriculum for Adults, Children, & Youth
- Leader's Guide Only
- Participant's Guide Vol. 1: Stepping Out of Denial into God's Grace
- Participant's Guide Vol. 2: Taking an Honest and Spiritual Inventory
- Participant's Guide Vol. 3: Getting Right with God, Yourself, and Others
- Participant's Guide Vol. 4: Growing in Christ While Helping Others
- Set of Participant's Guides Vol. 1-4
Celebration Place Kit for Children
52-week program to help break the cycle of dysfunction that mirrors the Celebrate Recovery plan
Other Recovery Books & Curriculum
The Twelve Steps: A Spiritual Journey by Friends in Recovery
Boundaries, DVD Curriculum by Henry Cloud, John Townsend
- Boundaries, the Hardcover Book only
- Boundaries, the Participant Guide only
- Boundaries, the Workbook only
Healing for Damaged Emotions by David A. Seamands
Changes That Heal by Henry Cloud
Turn Your Life Around: Break Free from Your Past to a New and Better You by Dr. Tim Clinton
Christian Recovery & Support Group Programs
Specific Recovery Resources
Abuse (emotional, physical, sexual)
- Book: On the Threshold of Hope: Opening the door to healing for survivors of sexual abuse by Diane Mandt Langberg
- Book: The Wounded Heart: Hope for Adult Victims of Childhood Sexual Abuse by Dan B. Allender
Addictions Recovery (general)
- Book: Helping Others Overcome Addictions: How God's Grace Brings Lasting Freedom by Steve McVey, Mike Quarles
- Book: The Twelve Steps for Christians: Based on Biblical Teachings by Friends in Recovery
- Study Guide: Crossroads: A Step-by-Step Guide Away from Addiction by Edward Welch
- Workbook: Freedom From Addiction Workbook by Neil T. Anderson, Mike & Julia Quarles
Adult Children of Dysfunctional Families
- Book: Making Peace With Your Past: Help for Adult Children of Dysfunctional Families by Tim Sledge
- Book: The Healing Journey for Adult Children of Alcoholics by Daryl E. Quick
- Small Group Resource: Parenting Your Parents by Dorothy Gager
- More resources on aging (under the 'age' tab on that page)
- Workbook: The Anger Workbook by Les Carter, Dr. Frank Minirth
- Book: The Twelve Steps: A Guide for Adults with Attention Deficit Disorder by Friends in Recovery
- Book: The Twelve Steps: A Key to Living with Attention Deficit Disorder by Friends in Recovery
Chronic Illness or Pain
- Book: How to Start a Chronic Illness Small Group Ministry by Lisa J. Copen
- Book: When Chronic Illness Enters Your Life by Lisa J. Copen
- Book: Learning to Live with Chronic Illness by Lisa J. Copen
- Website: Rest Ministries
- Book: Love is a Choice by Robert Hemfelt
- Workbook: Love is a Choice Workbook by Deborah Newman
- Book: Codependents' Guide to the Twelve Steps by Melody Beattie
- Book: From Bondage to Bonding: Escaping Codependency, Embracing Biblical Love by Nancy Groom
- Article: Codependency Recovery
- Article: Overcoming Codependency
- Book: Growing Through Divorce by Jim Smoke
- Book: Growing Seasons by Living Free - (for children)
- Workbook: New Life After Divorce: The Promise of Hope Beyond by Bill Butterworth
- Website: DivorceCare
- Website: DivorceCare for Kids
- More resources on divorce (under the 'marital' tab on that page)
Drug & Alcohol Addictions (Substance Abuse)
- Book: The Good Book and the Big Book : A.A's Roots in the Bible by Dick B.
- Book: The Heart of Addiction: A Biblical Perspective by Mark E. Shaw
- Book: Two Tracks One Goal by Cal Chambers
- Book: Love Hunger - 10 Stage Life Plan for Your Body, Mind, and Soul by Don Hawkins
- Book: Ninety Days: Encouragement for the Christian Over-eater by Patricia D. Nordstrom
- Book: The Thin Disguise: Understanding and Overcoming Anorexia & Bulimia by Pam W. Vredevelt
- Article: Understanding Eating Disorders
- Website: Chance to Change Gambling Recovery
Grief & Loss
- Book: Recovering from the Losses in Life by H. Norman Wright
- Book: Growing Seasons by Living Free - (for children)
- Site: GriefShare
- More resources on bereavement (under the 'comforting' tab on that page)
Guilt & Shame
- Book: Deceived by Shame, Desired by God by Cynthia Humbert
- Book: Released from Shame: Moving Beyond the Pain of the Past by Sandra D. Wilson
Love & Relationship Addiction
- Book: Addicted to Love: Understanding Dependencies of the Heart by Stephen Arterburn
- Book: Safe People: How to Find Relationships That Are Good for You and Avoid Those That Aren't by Henry Cloud
- Workbook: Safe People Workbook by Henry Cloud
- Article: Love Addiction
- Book: The Search for Significance by Robert McGee
- Book: An Affair of the Mind by Laurie Hall
- Book: Breaking Free: Understanding Sexual Addiction & the Healing Power of Jesus by Russell Willingham
- Book/DVD: Clean: A Proven Plan for Men Committed to Sexual Integrity by Douglas Weiss
- Book: Desires in Conflict: Answering the Struggle for Sexual Identity by Joe Dallas
- Book: Every Man's Battle: Winning the War on Sexual Purity One Victory at a Time by Stephen Arterburn, Fred Stoeker
- Book: Every Young Woman's Battle: Guarding Your Mind, Heart, and Body in a Sex-Saturated World by Shannon Ethridge and Stephen Arterburn
- Book: False Intimacy: Understanding the Struggle of Sexual Addiction by Harry Schaumburg
- Book: Healing Wounds of Sexual Addiction by Mark Laaser
- Book: The Dirty Little Secret: Uncovering the Truth Behind Porn by Craig Gross
- Book: The Pornography Trap: Setting Pastors and Laypersons Free from Sexual Addiction by Mark R. Laaser, Ralph H. Earle Jr.
- Book: When Good Men Are Tempted by William Perkins
About Support Groups:
- What is a support group?
- What makes a support group different from other small groups?
- Who will tend to go to a support group?
- Where should the support group meet?
- What should happen during a support group?
- What are essential elements in a good support group?
- Who can facilitate a support group & what should the facilitator do?
- Support Groups as a Shepherding Venue
May God use your support group to bring healing, comfort, and encouragement. These resources provide studies that can help but remember people also need you to walk alongside of them with compassion and unconditional acceptance.