People who are grieving, trying to break addictions, or facing a host of other life challenges can benefit from a study that provides God's perspective on their suffering or struggles. These resources can be used in Christian support groups or to increase your understanding of the issues.
Click on a tab below to view a list of either general or specific issues for which you might have a support group.
Many of the links below will take you to articles on other sites or to one of our affiliate stores. While seeking to choose sites and books that are doctrinally sound the Ministry Tools Resource Center makes no claim to total endorsement of any listing. Links to other sites will open in a new page to allow you to keep the list available to look at additional support groups resources.
General Recovery Resources
Recovery Books & Curriculum
- Leader's Guide Only
- Participant's Guide Vol. 1: Stepping Out of Denial into God's Grace
- Participant's Guide Vol. 2: Taking an Honest and Spiritual Inventory
- Participant's Guide Vol. 3: Getting Right with God, Yourself, and Others
- Participant's Guide Vol. 4: Growing in Christ While Helping Others
- Set of Participant's Guides Vol. 1-4
Celebration Station Kit for Children - 52-week program that mirrors the Celebrate Recovery plan.
The Landing for Teens is a year-long program that helps teenagers travel the path to freedom, healing, and wholeness -- mirrors the content presented in the Celebrate Recovery program.
- Boundaries, the Hardcover Book only
- Boundaries, the Participant Guide only
- Boundaries, the Workbook only
Turn Your Life Around: Break Free from Your Past to a New and Better You by Dr. Tim Clinton
Christian Recovery & Support Group Programs
God's Promises for
Your Every Need
Serenity: A Companion for 12 Step Recovery
Specific Recovery Resources
Abuse (emotional, physical, sexual)
- Book: On the Threshold of Hope: Opening the door to healing for survivors of sexual abuse
- Book: The Wounded Heart: Hope for Adult Victims of Childhood Sexual Abuse
Addictions (alcohol, drugs)
- Book: The Twelve Steps for Christians : Based on Biblical Teachings
- Book: Freedom From Addiction
- Workbook: Freedom From Addiction Workbook
- Book: The Good Book and the Big Book : A.A's Roots in the Bible
- Book: Bridge to Recovery: An Introduction to 12-Step Programs
- Book: Two Tracks One Goal
Adult Children of Addicts
- Workbook: The Anger Workbook
- Book: The Twelve Steps: A Guide for Adults with Attention Deficit Disorder
- Book: The Twelve Steps: A Key to Living with Attention Deficit Disorder
Chronic Illness or Pain
- Book: How to Start a Chronic Illness Small Group Ministry by Lisa J. Copen
- Book: When Chronic Illness Enters Your Life by Lisa J. Copen
- Book: Learning to Live with Chronic Illness by Lisa J. Copen
- Web-site: Rest Ministries
- Book: Love is a Choice
- Workbook: Love is a Choice Workbook
- Book: Codependents' Guide to the Twelve Steps
- Book: From Bondage to Bonding: Escaping Codependency, Embracing Biblical Love
- Article: Codependency Recovery
- Article: Overcoming Codependency
- Web-site: DivorceCare
- Book: Growing Through Divorce
- Book: Growing Seasons (for children)
- Workbook: New Life After Divorce: The Promise of Hope Beyond
- Web-site: DivorceCare for Kids
- More resources on divorce
- Book: Love Hunger - 10 Stage Life Plan for Your Body, Mind, and Soul
- Book: The Thin Disguise: Understanding and Overcoming Anorexia & Bulimia by Pam W. Vredevelt
- Article: Understanding Eating Disorders
- Web-site: Chance to Change Gambling Recovery
Grief & Loss
- Book: Recovering from the Losses in Life
- Book: Growing Seasons (for children)
- Site: GriefShare
- More resources on bereavement
Guilt & Shame
- Book: Deceived by Shame, Desired by God
- Book: Released from Shame: Moving Beyond the Pain of the Past
Love & Relationship Addiction
- Book: Addicted to Love: Understanding Dependencies of the Heart
- Book: Safe People: How to Find Relationships That Are Good for You and Avoid Those That Aren't
- Workbook: Safe People Workbook
- Article: Love Addiction
- Book: An Affair of the Mind
- Book: Desires in Conflict: Answering the Struggle for Sexual Identity
- Book: Every Man's Battle: Winning the War on Sexual Purity One Victory at a Time
- Book: False Intimacy: Understanding the Struggle of Sexual Addiction
- Book: Healing Wounds of Sexual Addiction
- Book: The Dirty Little Secret: Uncovering the Truth Behind Porn
- Book: The Pornography Trap: Setting Pastors and Laypersons Free from Sexual Addiction
- Book: When Good Men Are Tempted
About Support Groups:
- What is a support group?
- What makes a support group different from other small groups?
- Who will tend to go to a support group?
- Where should the support group meet?
- What should happen during a support group?
- What are essential elements in a good support group?
- Who can facilitate a support group & what should the facilitator do?
- Support Groups as a Shepherding Venue
May God use your support group to bring healing, comfort, and encouragement. These resources provide studies that can help but remember people also need you to walk alongside of them with compassion and unconditional acceptance.