Key Verses about Humbling Ourselves:
"Come, let us bow down in worship, let us kneel before the Lord our Maker, for he is our God and we are the people of his pasture, the flock under his care." (Ps. 95:6-7)
Key Attributes of God for Why we Defer to Him:
God is the Sovereign One ... our Maker, Potter, Shepherd, King, Lord.
Key Issues in Worship:
- It is about Him being Lord, the One in control and not doing things our way.
- It is about serving Him and not expecting Him to cater to us.
- It is about bowing to Him and not thinking we know better.
Key Focus in Humbling Ourselves Before God:
How can we revere Him as Lord?
Because He is our Maker, the Potter, He has rights to gift us and use us as He wills. To complain is to suggest He doesn't know what He is doing. To bow before Him by accepting His design for us is to revere Him for His sovereignty. (Rom. 9:20-21)
Because He is our Shepherd, His leading in our lives is going to be for our good, to protect us and to provide for us. (Ps. 23; Jer. 29:11) To be anxious and to fear is to suggest that He isn't capable and loving enough to look out for us. To bow before Him by following His leading is to revere Him for His faithfulness and lovingkindness as He sovereignly guides the way.
Because He is our King, the Leader, His Word is the final standard and we move under His banner. To allow anyone or anything else to dictate what we do is to defect from His rule and to suggest that His ways are not higher, that He is not always right. To bow before Him by obeying His Word is to acknowledge His standard as absolute and to revere Him as the One who can lead us into victory. We defer to Him as the Lord of lords and King of kings. (Rev. 17:14)
Implications for the Worship Leader:
- Set the example in your own life of humbling yourself before Him so as to lead the way for the congregation.
- Build an environment conducive to reverence.
Implications for the Individual Worshiper:
- Guard against a false humility to give the appearance of worshiping the Lord.
- Humble yourself before Him throughout the week by lining up with His design/purpose for your life, by following His leading, and by depending on and obeying Him.
The Worship Ministry Manual briefly expounds on the above implications of this aspect of worship and also provides a guide to reflect on the potential of the outward expression of worship turning into a false humility and how to prevent that from happening.