Thanksgiving is so much more than a one day holiday for people to express thanks. God’s Word describes thanksgiving in ways that suggest it be an on-going occurrence, an attitude of the heart, a way of life.
According to the Bible, Thanksgiving is . . .
- an offering to the Lord (Lev. 7:13, 15)
- an accompaniment of praise (Ezra 3:11; Neh. 12:24, 46; Ps. 69:30; 100:4)
- a means of glorifying the Lord (Ps. 69:30; 2 Cor. 4:15)
- a melodious refrain (Neh. 12:8, 27, 46; Jer. 30:19; Isa. 51:3)
- a way to come before the Lord (Ps. 95:2; 100:4; Phil. 4:6)
- a reaction evoked in others to your good deeds (2 Cor. 4:15; 9:11)
- a character trait in His people (Eph. 5:4)
- a form of prayer (1 Tim. 2:1)
- a response to the Creator for His goodness (1 Tim. 4:3-4)
Giving thanks is so much more than words of gratitude. We can express our gratitude and appreciation to God in a variety of ways that include our words but also our attitudes and actions.