Why study the book of Philippians?
Practical Issues in Philippians
Paul's letter to the church in Philippi is filled with life related matters with which we are still confronted as a church and in our daily lives.
- becoming more other-centered
- learning to better cope and deal with circumstances
- maintaining unity
- living a life of obedience to God
- serving wholeheartedly
- setting priorities
- getting an attitude adjustment
- experiencing peace
- being content
-- This discussion study guide is more than a commentary on the book of Philippians. It deals with these relevant issues.
Prized Verses in Philippians
The Apostle Paul penned some of the most treasured and quoted Bible verses in these four chapters.
- 1:3 - "I thank my God every time I remember you."
- 1:6 - "being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus."
- 1:21 - "For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain."
- 2:10-11 - "that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, . . . and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, ..."
- 3:10-11 - "I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, ..."
- 3:12 - "Not that I have already obtained all this, ... but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me."
- 3:13-14 - "Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal ..."
- 3:20 - "But our citizenship is in heaven."
- 4:4 - "Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!"
- 4:6 - Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petitions, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God."
- 4:8 - "Finally brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble ... think about such things."
- 4:12 - "I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation ..."
- 4:13 - "I can do everything through him who gives me strength."
- 4:19 - "And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus."
-- This Philippians discussion study guide is a call to not only know or memorize these key verses but to also live them out.
Other discussion guides available from Ministry Tools Resource Center:
- Evangelizing the World Around Me
- Foundational Pillars of Truth
- Heaven: Sounds Good About Now
- The Truth About Worship
- "What Ifs" from the Garden of Gethsemane