Discovering your spiritual gifts doesn't take a lot of detective work.
You just need to know what to look for.
One of the best ways of discerning your spiritual gift(s) is to get involved in a variety of ministry experiences.
As you explore the different ministry areas, you will soon discover if you are gifted for these ministries.
- LOOK FOR those ministries in which you feel the most fulfilled.
- LOOK FOR those ministries in which you seem to be the most effective.
- LOOK FOR those ministries in which others affirm your abilities. (People may not verbalize their appreciation. You may need to take the step of seeking counsel from those who will give you an honest assessment.)
Envelop the whole process in prayer. The Lord will lead you to an identification of your gift(s) if you allow Him to guide and direct you in all your endeavors.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight. (Prov. 3:5,6)
If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him. (James 1:5)
While labeling your gifts is helpful, using your gifts is more important. Do what you know to do even if you can't put a name to it. The benefit of being able to specifically identify your gifts is that it can make you more effective as you learn how to better develop that gift and relate to and understand others better.
Assessment tools can be helpful in the process of discovering your spiritual gifts. The key is to let God have the final word. Gift inventories can be fallible. First, they are man-made not divinely inspired. Second, the test is taken by human beings who may be influenced in their responses by a variety of factors which could hinder accuracy. Therefore, use any spiritual gift analysis as a tool rather than an end. Test the results through prayer and further experience in ministry areas utilizing the gifts you are said to possess. Seek God's confirmation.
Ministry Resources To Help You Identify Your Gifts:
Use the definitions in the gifts list.
- If a gift seems to describe you, you may have the gift at least to some measure.
Use the Online Spiritual Gifts Test.
- This questionnaire surveys the gifts listed in Romans 12:6-8. There are many other gifts listed in Scripture which should be factored in to get a more complete picture of your gift mix. This, however, is a good starting place to help you identify your gifting.
- The disc includes three different spiritual gifts tests and means of scoring them.
Check Out All Spiritual Gifting Resources
to Help You Identify Your Gifts