Before beginning a project a good builder will make a blueprint to help him know what the end result is to look like. That will let him know steps needed to get there.
God has provided a blueprint for the growth, or building up, of His Church in His Word.
Scripture Passages on God's Design for Body Life:
The following passages show us God's Blueprint Design for Building the Church. If we want a healthy, growing Church, we must function according to His intent as laid out in His Word.
Ephesians 4:11-16 - God's Goals for the Church & Plans for Reaching Them
- God's Goals: unity, maturity, Christ-likeness, balance
- God's Plan for Reaching the Goals: Gifted leaders and teachers speak the truth in love and are used of God to perfect and equip believers to carry out the work. Notice that leaders do not do all the work. They are equippers.
1 Corinthians 12:14-26 - God's Design for How the Church Should Function
- Unity out of Diversity (1 Cor. 12:14-17)
- Everybody's Part Determined by God (1 Cor. 12:18-20)
- Interdependency (1 Cor. 12:21)
- Recognition of Each Person's Value (1 Cor. 12:22-25)
- Truly Caring for One Another (1 Cor. 12:26)
Romans 12:1-21 - Behavior Reflecting God's Design
- A Committed Life to the Lord
- A Contrasted Life to the World
- A Connected Life to the Body of Christ
The Body Life Ministry Manual provides more input into each of these passages as well as some helps for further reflection.