The Purpose of Spiritual Gifts - Benefits & Effects
What happens when we use our spirital gifts?
Numerous passages show the purpose of spiritual gifts to be the effect they have on the Body of Christ:
- 1 Corinthians 12:7 - "Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good."
- Ephesians 4:12 - "to prepare God's people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up"
- 1 Peter 4:10 - "Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others..."
As you can read in these references, spiritual gifting is not for personal benefit or selfish gain. Rather, the gifts are for the benefit of the body of Christ.
When properly exercised, spiritual gifts will contribute to the overall health and growth of the church. Remember the truth of Ephesians 4:16 which is written in the context of spiritual gifting:
From him the whole body, joined and held together by every supporting ligament, grows and builds itself up in love, as each part does its work.
When the gifts are not properly exercised, the church will miss out on these benefits and effects. Click below to read more about how a wrongful approach can have an adverse effect on the Body:
- Dysfunctional Approach to Spiritual Gifts: Overview
- Dysfunctional Approach to Spiritual Gifts: Health
- Dysfunctional Approach to Spiritual Gifts: Performance
- Dysfunctional Approach to Spiritual Gifts: Relational
Learn more about the purpose of spiritual gifts in the Everybody Has a Part: Getting a Grip on Spiritual Gifts book.