Worship Ministry: Singling Out God
Key Verses Exalting God as the One & Only True God:
"You alone are the Lord. You made the heavens, even the highest heavens, and all their starry host, the earth and all that is on it, the seas and all that is in them. You give life to everything, and the multitudes of heaven worship you." (Neh. 9:6)
Key Attributes Making God the Exalted One:
God is the Only True God, the Almighty, the Only Wise, Only True God. He is a jealous God, sharing His glory with none other.
Key Issues for Worship:
- It's not even about putting God first but of setting Him up as the Only True God, the only One to be worshiped.
- It is about giving worship to none other than the Lord, keeping Him in His rightful place.
- It is about turning from all else in order to turn to Him alone.
Key Focus in Worshiping God:
For what can we exalt Him above all else?
By definition God would be the One of whom there is no greater. The God who made everything, and who imparts life to everything, is thereby greater than anything else. Part of worshiping Him involves singling Him out as the One True God of whom there is no greater. He is exalted above all creation. No object, person, celestial or man-made being comes even close to Him.
Implications for the Worship Leader:
- Watch for building a dependency on you.
- Build opportunity for confession into worship.
Implications for the Individual Worshiper:
- Constantly remind yourself that God is the Only True and Living God.
- Ask God to search your heart and "see if there is any offensive way" in you (Ps. 139:23-24).
The Worship Ministry Manual briefly expounds on the above implications of this aspect of worship and also provides a guide to study Scripture for what can cause people to turn from the One True God to worship something else.