Worship Ministry: Identifying with God & His ways
Key Verse about Worship & God's Holiness:
"Worship the Lord in the splendor of his holiness; tremble before him, all the earth." (Ps. 96:9)
Key Attributes of God:
God is holy and as such is awe-inspiring.
Key Issues in Worshiping a Holy God:
- It is about who He is, as a holy and righteous God, that sets the standard, not our man-made regulations or practices.
- It is about following after Him, not what other people or churches are doing.
Key Focus in Worshiping a Holy God:
What can we set apart to Him?
God looks for people who so acknowledge the magnificence of His holiness that they not only seek to line up all they do in accordance with who He is but they also set apart their very being to His glory so as to be identified with Him and His ways. These are people who recognize that the end does not justify the means. They realize the importance of following His ways in all they do. They want to so adorn themselves that they "make the teaching about God our Savior attractive" (Titus 2:10).
Implications for the Worship Leader:
- Inquire, probe and thoroughly investigate any trends to make sure they are truly of God.
- Do not allow any practice that fails to line up with God and His ways to take root.
- Stress the need to come before a holy God on His terms without giving any illusion that we come into worship on our own merits.
Implications for the Individual Worshiper:
- Begin by committing not only what you do to God but also your very life.
- Be prepared for the possibility of being tested in your commitment to identify with Him and His ways.
The Worship Ministry Manual briefly expounds on the above implications of this aspect of worship and also provides a guide to study Scripture for how to reconcile the struggle to have zeal and yet have standards within worship.