Worship Ministry: Offering to the Lord a Sacrifice of Praise
Key Verses Governing our Offering:
"Through Jesus, therefore, let us continually offer to God a sacrifice of praise --the fruit of lips that confess his name. And do not forget to do good and to share with others, for with such sacrifices God is pleased." (Heb. 13:15-16)
Key Attributes of God as Worthy of Sacrificial Praise:
God is our Maker, the Creator of everything. Hence, it only makes sense that we express unconditional appreciation and give back to Him from what we have been entrusted.
Key Issues in Worship:
- It's about what we give Him, not what we get out of it.
When we come to worship with expectations of personal enrichment or enjoyment, we are bound to sometimes go away disappointed. When we come to worship simply to meet with God to praise His name, He will never disappoint.
- It's about what we give Him, not what we might get in return.
God does not owe us anything because we offer ourselves to Him. We are only giving back what He already provided.
Key Focus in Offering to the Lord:
What can we give to Him?
Know that in giving to Him we are not adding to His wealth. He already owns it. He is the owner of all that ever existed and ever will exist. See Psalm 50:8-12.
If the focus is on what we get, some will become lulled to sleep and turn away from Him rather than draw closer to Him. (Deut. 31:20)
Implications for the Worship Leader:
- In planning the service, remember that your concern should be leading people to focus on the Lord, to give of themselves to Him.
- Watch for producing a dichotomy between "worship" and offering time.
Implications for the Individual Worshiper:
- When you attend a worship service with music and other means that do not fit your preferences, give Him praise nonetheless without complaint or negative attitude.
- When the offering plate comes around, give generously because He deserves it not begrudgingly out of duty or because others are looking.
- Remember that worship extends beyond "going to church."
- Never forget that the ultimate offering is yourself ... a life fully devoted to God in all you do and say.
More to Read: What Can We Offer a God Who Owns It All?
The Worship Ministry Manual briefly expounds on the above implications of this aspect of worship and also provides a guide to study Scripture on different offerings we can give to the Lord and the attitude God desires as we give to Him in each of these ways.