“I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.” (Jesus, Jn. 10:10) — A previous post briefly exposited Jesus’ claim to give us an abundant life. You were asked, “What do Jesus words mean to you? What do they mean for your ministry?” Here I’d like to share the implications of these words to my life which I am sure should hold true for you as well.
The Difference Jesus’ Claim to Give Abundant Life Makes
For me, having an abundant life means that:
- I can be an overcomer in whatever challenges I face. As the Apostle Paul said, “We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed.” (2 Cor. 4:8-9) — If I have life to the full in Christ, why should I let myself feel like a victim?
- I can be content in whatever conditions I live. Paul also said, “I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength.” (Phil. 4:11-13) — If I have life to the full in Christ, why should I let dissatisfaction surge within me when I have all I really need?
- I can be joyful in whatever conflict I endure. In praying for our protection in John 17, Jesus said, “I say these things while I am still in the world, so that they may have the full measure of my joy within them.” — If I have life to the full in Christ, why should I let discouragement consume me because of what people say or do when He is my all sufficiency and what He thinks is enough?
- I can be at peace in whatever concerns I feel. Jesus said, “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.” (Jn. 14:27) — If I have life to the full in Christ, why should I let life overwhelm me when He promises to take care of me and is faithful and able to fulfill His word?
- I can be confident in whatever charge I am given. Paul prayed for those God led him to serve saying that he was “confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.” (Phil. 1:6) — If I have life to the full in Christ, why should I let fear overtake me in ministry when my competence is in Him?
Is this the kind of life you want? The next post looks at how to have abundant life.