In the previous post we considered how we need wisdom to make it in today’s world. The Source of that wisdom matters. We all can look around us and see where earthly wisdom gets us.
There is a way that appears to be right, but in the end it leads to death. (Prov. 14:12)
He who trusts in himself is a fool, but he who walks in wisdom is kept safe. (Prov. 28:26)
While foolishness may guise itself as wisdom, the contrast between earthly and spiritual wisdom becomes evident in its outcome — the topic of the next post. Here we want to contrast the foundations on which earthly versus spiritual wisdom are based due to their effect on the outcome.
Foundation of Spiritual Wisdom Contrasted with Earthly Wisdom
For each point listed below you will see the contrast of spiritual versus earthly wisdom. It shouldn’t take long to grasp how the source of wisdom truly does matter.
1) The source of wisdom determines its trustworthiness and reliability.
- The source of spiritual wisdom: Divine (God)
Ps. 111:10; Prov. 1:7; 1 Cor. 2:10-16
- The source of earthly wisdom: Devil (Satan)
— In whom does it make the most sense to put your trust?
2) The source of wisdom determines the foundation upon which all else is built.
- The basis of spiritual wisdom: discernment (because God Himself is wise)
Ps. 90:12; Prov. 8:12; 10:13; 14:6, 8; 1 Cor. 2:14-15
- The basis of earthly wisdom: deception (because Satan is a deceiver)
Prov. 14:8; 1 Cor. 3:18-19
— On what does it make the most sense to base your decisions?
The parable of the wise man building his house on the rock and the foolish man on the sand brings home this reality. (Take some time to read Matt. 7:24-27.) — The foundation matters. The wisdom we need for everyday living must originate from the right source if we want to see the right outcomes.