Christian Support Group Resources for Healing & Recovery
People who are grieving, trying to break addictions, or facing a host of other life challenges can benefit from a study that provides God's perspective on their suffering or struggles. These resources can be used in Christian support groups or to increase your understanding of the issues.
Click on a tab below to view a list of either general or specific issues for which you might have a support group.
General Recovery Resources
Celebrate Recovery Curriculum for Adults, Children, & Youth
- Leader's Guide Only
- Participant's Guide Vol. 1: Stepping Out of Denial into God's Grace
- Participant's Guide Vol. 2: Taking an Honest and Spiritual Inventory
- Participant's Guide Vol. 3: Getting Right with God, Yourself, and Others
- Participant's Guide Vol. 4: Growing in Christ While Helping Others
- Participant's Guide Vol. 5: Moving Forward in God's Grace
- Participant's Guide Vol. 6: Asking God to Grow My Character
- Participant's Guide Vol. 7: Honoring God by Making Repairs
- Participant's Guide Vol. 8: Living Out the Message of Christ
- Participant's Guide Set, Volumes 1-4
- Participant's Guide Set, Volumes 5-8
Other Recovery Books & Curriculum
The Twelve Steps: A Spiritual Journey by Friends in Recovery
Boundaries, DVD Curriculum by Henry Cloud, John Townsend
Healing for Damaged Emotions by David A. Seamands
Turn Your Life Around: Break Free from Your Past to a New and Better You by Dr. Tim Clinton
Christian Recovery & Support Group Programs
Specific Recovery Resources
Abuse (emotional, physical, sexual)
- On the Threshold of Hope: Opening the door to healing for survivors of sexual abuse by Diane Mandt Langberg
- The Emotionally Destructive Relationship: Seeing It, Stopping It, Surviving It by Leslie Vernick
- The Wounded Heart: Hope for Adult Victims of Childhood Sexual Abuse by Dan B. Allender
Addictions Recovery (general)
- Addictions: A Banquet in the Grave: Finding Hope in the Power of the Gospel by Edward T. Welch
- Crossroads: A Step-by-Step Guide Away from Addiction by Edward Welch
- Freedom From Addiction Workbook by Neil T. Anderson, Mike & Julia Quarles
- Helping Others Overcome Addictions: How God's Grace Brings Lasting Freedom by Steve McVey, Mike Quarles
- The Recovery-Minded Church: Loving and Ministering to People With Addiction by Jonathan Benz, Kristina Robb-Dover
- The Twelve Steps for Christians: Based on Biblical Teachings by Friends in Recovery
Adult Children of Dysfunctional Families
- Making Peace With Your Past: Help for Adult Children of Dysfunctional Families by Tim Sledge
- Setting Boundaries with Your Adult Children: Six Steps to Hope and Healing for Struggling Parents by Allison Bottke
- The Healing Journey for Adult Children of Alcoholics by Daryl E. Quick
- Parenting Your Parents Small Group Resource by Dorothy Gager
- More resources on aging (under the 'age' tab on that page)
- The Anger Workbook: An Interactive Guide to Anger Management by Les Carter, Dr. Frank Minirth
- Anxious for Nothing Study Guide with DVD: Finding Calm in a Chaotic World by Max Lucado
- Joshua - Women's Bible Study Participant Workbook: Winning the Worry Battle by Barb Roose
- The Worry Workbook by Les Carter, Frank Minirth
- Worry-Free Living by Frank Minirth, Paul Meier, Don Hawkins
- The Twelve Steps: A Guide for Adults with Attention Deficit Disorder by Friends in Recovery
- The Twelve Steps: A Key to Living with Attention Deficit Disorder by Friends in Recovery
Chronic Illness or Pain
- How to Start a Chronic Illness Small Group Ministry by Lisa J. Copen
- When Chronic Illness Enters Your Life by Lisa J. Copen
- Article: Codependency Recovery
- Codependent No More: How to Stop Controlling Others and Start Caring for Yourself by Melody Beattie
- Codependent No More Workbook by Melody Beattie
- Codependents' Guide to the Twelve Steps by Melody Beattie
- From Bondage to Bonding: Escaping Codependency, Embracing Biblical Love by Nancy Groom
- Love is a Choice by Robert Hemfelt, Frank Minirth, Paul Meier
- Love is a Choice Workbook by Robert Hemfelt, Frank Minirth, Paul Meier
- Please Don't Say You Need Me: Biblical Answers for Codependency by Jan Silvious
- DivorceCare for Kids
- Growing Through Divorce by Jim Smoke
- Growing Seasons by Living Free - (for children)
- New Life After Divorce: The Promise of Hope Beyond by Bill Butterworth
- More resources on divorce (under the 'marital' tab on that page)
Drug & Alcohol Addictions (Substance Abuse)
- Article: What are the Symptoms and Treatment for Alcohol Abuse and Addiction?
- Article: What are the Symptoms and Treatment for Prescription Drug Abuse?
- God Is for the Alcoholic by Bernard Palmer
- The Good Book and the Big Book : A.A's Roots in the Bible by Dick B.
- The Heart of Addiction: A Biblical Perspective by Mark E. Shaw
- Love Hunger - 10 Stage Life Plan for Your Body, Mind, and Soul by Don Hawkins
- Ninety Days: Encouragement for the Christian Over-eater by Patricia D. Nordstrom
- The Thin Disguise: Understanding and Overcoming Anorexia & Bulimia by Pam W. Vredevelt
Grief & Loss
- Growing Seasons by Living Free - (for children)
- Recovering from the Losses in Life by H. Norman Wright
- More resources on bereavement (under the 'comforting' tab on that page)
Guilt & Shame
- Deceived by Shame, Desired by God by Cynthia Humbert
- Released from Shame: Moving Beyond the Pain of the Past by Sandra D. Wilson
Love & Relationship Addiction
- Article: Love Addiction
- Safe People: How to Find Relationships That Are Good for You and Avoid Those That Aren't by Henry Cloud
- When You Love Too Much: Walking the Road to Healthy Intimacy by Stephen Arterburn
- The Search for Significance by Robert McGee
- Article: What are the Symptoms and Treatment for Sexual Addiction?
- An Affair of the Mind by Laurie Hall
- Breaking Free: Understanding Sexual Addiction & the Healing Power of Jesus by Russell Willingham
- Clean: A Proven Plan for Men Committed to Sexual Integrity by Douglas Weiss
- Desires in Conflict: Answering the Struggle for Sexual Identity by Joe Dallas
- Every Man's Battle: Winning the War on Sexual Purity One Victory at a Time by Stephen Arterburn, Fred Stoeker
- Every Young Woman's Battle: Guarding Your Mind, Heart, and Body in a Sex-Saturated World by Shannon Ethridge and Stephen Arterburn
- False Intimacy: Understanding the Struggle of Sexual Addiction by Harry Schaumburg
- Healing Wounds of Sexual Addiction by Mark Laaser
- The Dirty Little Secret: Uncovering the Truth Behind Porn by Craig Gross
- The Pornography Trap: Setting Pastors and Laypersons Free from Sexual Addiction by Mark R. Laaser, Ralph H. Earle Jr.
- When Good Men Are Tempted by William Perkins
About Support Groups:
- What is a support group?
- What makes a support group different from other small groups?
- Who will tend to go to a support group?
- Where should the support group meet?
- What should happen during a support group?
- What are essential elements in a good support group?
- Who can facilitate a support group & what should the facilitator do?
- Support Groups as a Shepherding Venue
- How to Shepherd a Support Group
May God use your support group to bring healing, comfort, and encouragement. These resources provide studies that can help but remember people also need you to walk alongside of them with compassion and unconditional acceptance.