Resources for People Helping Ministry
Let's help people in and because of the love and compassion of Jesus Christ. Here you will find some resources to help you know how to get involved in meeting people's needs through practical assistance, comforting the bereaved, counseling, crisis intervention, and providing support.
Click on a tab below to view a list of resources for the various ways we can help people.
Encouraging One Another in Our Hurts & Struggles
- Bible Truths for Coming Alongside of One Another
- Christ-like Communication: Attentive
- Christ-like Communication: Awareness
- Compassion: More than a Feeling?
- Compassion: More than an Option?
- Compassion Dissolves Excuses
- Encouragement Needed: Why
- Encouragement Needed: Who
- Encouragement Needed: How
- Help for When We Hurt
- People Helping Ministries: Who Should Be Involved
- Putting Yourself in Someone Else's Shoes - Why?
- Putting Yourself in Someone Else's Shoes - How?
- Too Proud or Afraid to Ask for Help?
- Two Kinds of Sensitive: The Healthy Kind
- Why Christians Come Alongside of People in Need
- People Helping Ministry Manual by Ministry Tools Resource Center
- Caring for One Another: 8 Ways to Cultivate Meaningful Relationships by Edward T. Welch
- Helping Those Who Hurt: Reaching Out to Your Friends In Need by H. Norman Wright
- Helping Those Who Hurt: A Handbook for Caring and Crisis by Barbara Roberts
- Side by Side: Walking with Others in Wisdom and Love by Edward T. Welch
- Hope & Encouragement Cards from DaySpring
- Praying for You & Difficult Times Cards from DaySpring
- Thinking of You Cards from DaySpring
- Walk the Walk Even When It Hurts Devotional Guide by Ministry Tools Resource Center
For Bible Teachers:
- Bible Teachers' Many Roles in Times of Trouble
- Ministering to Students with Hurting Hearts Worksheet by Ministry Tools Resource Center
Providing Benevolence - Practical Assistance Resources
- Doing Good & Sharing?
- The Church's Purpose to Love People Is Expressed Through Benevolence
- Practical Assistance - Meeting Physical Needs
- Should Our Church Start a Food Pantry?
- Helping Without Hurting in Church Benevolence: A Practical Guide to Walking with Low-Income People by Steve Corbett, Brian Kiffert, Katie Casselberry
Comforting People who are Grieving - Bereavement Resources
- Comforting & Helping People Through Their Loss and Grieving
- Funeral Helps (funeral/graveside messages and more)
- Helping People Through Their Loss
- How To Support Grieving School Aged Children And Teens
- Supporting Young Children After A Death
- What to Write in a Sympathy Card
- A Grace Disguised by Gerald L. Sittser
- Comfort the Grieving: Ministering God's Grace in Times of Loss by Paul Tautges, Brian Croft
- Conduct Gospel-Centered Funerals by Brian Croft, Phil A. Newton
- Experiencing Grief by H. Norman Wright
- God's Healing for Life's Losses: How to Find Hope When You're Hurting by Robert W. Kellemen Ph.D. (GriefShare)
- Harsh Grief, Gentle Hope by Mary A. White
- Helping People Through Grief by Delores Kuenning
- Ministering to the Mourning: A Practical Guide for Pastors, Church Leaders, and Other Caregivers by David Wiersbe, Warren Wiersbe
- Recovering from Losses in Life by H. Norman Wright
Books for Helping Children:
- Heaven's Not a Crying Place: Teaching Your Child About Funerals, Death, and the Life Beyond by Joey O'Connor
- My Heart Is Sad, When Someone Special Dies by Connie Owens
- Wait Until Then: A Picture Book About Heaven by Randy Alcorn, Doran Ben-Ami
- What Happens When We Die? by Carolyn Nystrom
Books for Helping Teens:
- My Friend is Struggling With . . . Death of a Loved One by Josh McDowell & Ed Stewart
Coming Alongside of Others - Counseling Resources
- Christian Counseling: Can anybody be a lay counselor?
- Counseling as a Helping Ministry
- How Much Do You Need to Understand Mental Illness to Come Along Side?
- Listening Communicates That You Care
- So you want to be a Christian Counselor!
- What should be the counselor's objective?
- What approach should be used in Christian counseling?
- What if a counselee doesn't take the steps required to move forward?
- Caring for People God's Way: Personal and Emotional Issues, Addictions, Grief, and Trauma by Dr. Tim Clinton, Dr. Archibald D. Hart, George Ohlschlager
- Christian Counseling by Gary R. Collins
- Competent Christian Counseling: Pursuing and Practicing Compassionate Soul Care by Timothy Clinton, George Ohlschlager
- Instruments in the Redeemer's Hands: People in Need of Change, Helping People in Need of Change by Paul David Tripp
- Introduction to Psychology and Counseling by Frank Minirth, Paul Meier, Donald Ratcliff
- Lay Counseling: Equipping Christians for a Helping Ministry by Siang-Yang Tan, Eric T. Scalise
- The Biblical Basis of Christian Counseling for People Helpers: Relating the Basic Teachings of Scripture to People's Problems by Gary R. Collins
- The New Christian Counselor: A Fresh Biblical and Transformational Approach by Ron Hawkins, Tim Clinton
- Troubled Minds: Mental Illness and the Church's Mission by Amy Simpson
- 12 Steps : A Spiritual Journey (Tools for Recovery) by Friends in Recovery
Helping Those Who are Overwhelmed - Crisis Intervention Resources
- Crisis Intervention
- Don't Just Survive, Thrive: Need for Presence
- How to Help People in Crisis
- In the Midst of Crisis, Rise Above
- In the Midst of Crisis, Pray
- In the Midst of Crisis, Give Thanks
- What Not to Say When the Unthinkable Happens
- Comforting Children in Crisis by Group Publishing
- Comforting Friends in Crisis (Adults) by Group Publishing
- Comforting Teens in Crisis by Group Publishing
- Comforting Women in Crisis by Group Publishing
- The Complete Guide to Crisis & Trauma Counseling: What to Do and Say When It Matters Most! by Dr. H. Norman Wright
- Precipitation Events
- Intensifying Factors
- Natural Disasters & Tragedies
- If the person is depressed
- If the person is suicidal
Training for Teachers:
May people see Christ in you and be drawn to Him as you reach out with His love and compassion. Use these People Helping Ministry Resources for ideas in how to help but always remember that our greatest resource is God Himself.