To have an effective senior adult ministry, we need to begin with a biblical view of old age. As we look at Scripture we find that seniors matter to God and still have a purpose to fulfill.
- Old Age: What Saith the Scripture?
- Scripture Memory Bible Verses for Senior Adults (looks at verses applicable to old age)
- What God Says About Getting Older
3 Factors in an Effective Senior Adult Ministry
Based on a biblical foundation, these three factors should enter into the development of a senior adult ministry.
- treating them with respect and honor, dignity and worth (Lev. 19:32; Prov. 23:22) not pitying them or seeing them as bothersome or in the way — ready to learn from and gain wisdom from them (Job 12:12)
- meeting their needs in accordance with our God-given responsibility (1 Tim. 5:1ff) not ignoring or forgetting about them — ready to reach out to them with love and compassion
- Resource: Age Level Characteristics: Adults Module Download (One of the four adult age levels included in this resource relates to older-aged adults.)
- encouraging them to keep growing in their walk with God and to live out His continued purposes for them (Ps. 71:18; 92:12-15) not to feel useless and give up regardless of their physical condition and life circumstances — ready to integrate them into the Body and open meaningful doors of opportunity for them
- Mentoring by Older Men
- Mentoring by Older Women
- Motivating Senior Adults to Learn
- The 87-year-old Missionary – sees her retirement home as a mission field
- 101 Ways to Reinvest Your Life by Steve Sjogren, Janie Sjogren
- Don’t Write My Obituary Just Yet: Inspiring Faith Stories for Older Adults by Missy Buchanan
- Extending Your Heritage by J. Otis Ledbetter, Randy Scott
- Growing Older & Wiser (Lifeguide Bible Studies) by Dale & Sandy Larsen
- Improving with Age: God’s Plan for Getting Older and Better by Stuart & Jill Briscoe
- Joy Boosters: 120 Ways to Encourage Older Adults by Missy Buchanan
- Living with Purpose in a Worn-Out Body: Spiritual Encouragement for Older Adults by Missy Buchanan
- No Wrinkles on the Soul: A Book of Readings for Older Adults by Richard L. Morgan
- Senior Saints: Growing Older in God’s Family (Fisherman Bible Studyguide Series) by James & Martha Reapsome
- Talking with God in Old Age: Meditations and Psalms by Missy Buchanan
Helpful Resources about Senior Adults Ministries
- An Age of Opportunity: Intentional Ministry by, with, and for Older Adults by Richard H. Gentzler Jr.
- Catch the Age Wave : A Handbook for Effective Ministry With Senior Adults by Win and Charles Arn
- Senior Adult Ministry in the 21st Century: Step-By-Step Strategies for Reaching People over 50 by David P. Gallagher
- Vision For The Aging Church: Renewing Ministry For And By Seniors by James M. Houston, Michael Parker
- Working the Gray Zone : A Call for Proactive Ministry by and with Older Adults by Charles G. Oakes
- Ministry To Senior Adults – Word Document Download by Building Church Leaders
Resources for Caregivers of Aging Adults
- Caring For Your Aging Parents by Barbara Deane
- Complete Guide to Caring for Aging Loved Ones by Focus on the Family
- The Complete Eldercare Planner Start, Which Questions to Ask, and How to Find Help by Joy Loverde
- The Caregiving Season: Finding Grace to Honor Your Aging Parents by Jane Daly
- The Eldercare Handbook: Difficult Choices, Compassionate Solutions by Stella Mora Henry R.N.