Ministry Resources to Serve Victims of Crime, Natural Disasters, Tragedies, School Violence, Other Types of Crisis
God might want to use you to bring comfort or relief to those experiencing grief or devastation due to disasters or tragedies that have affected them. These resources can assist you in the process of reaching out with His love and compassion to those affected by some sort of crisis whether that be the victims themselves or First Responders.
Click on a tab below to view a list of resources to help in these difficult situations.
Let's not forget to show our appreciation to the First Responders who risk their lives during these tragedies to help others.
- Answering the Call New Testament with Psalms and Proverbs - Help and Hope for Firefighters
- Emergency Medical Services Bible
- Firefighter's Bible, Red Simulated Leather (HCSB)
- Law Enforcement Officer's Bible
- The Peacemakers Police Officer New Testament, softcover NIV
- American Flag Lapel Pin With Presentation Card
- Recognition Gifts for Emergency Medical Services (EMS)
- Recognition Gifts for Firefighters
- Recognition Gifts for Law Enforcement (Police)
- Recognition Gifts for Telecommunicator Dispatchers (911)
Resources for Children:
Bible Teachers, Learn to Help Students Process Crisis:
People affected by natural disasters need to know people care. Perhaps we can't all help by going to assist clean-up and rebuilding but certainly we can all help in at least one of the following ways.
Help by Being Prepared
- 5 Tips to Prepare for a Natural Disaster
- 5 Things Churches Need To Do During Natural Disasters
- Building Your Church Emergency Plan
- Do You Have a Disaster Recovery Plan?
- How to Prepare Your Church for Disaster Response
- Disaster Ministry Handbook by Jamie D. Aten, David Boan
Help People Affected by Natural Disasters by Giving
Help By Praying
- Certain Peace in Uncertain Times: Embracing Prayer in an Anxious Age by Shirley Dobson
Help By Serving
- Comforting those grieving their loss (general)
- Providing practical assistance (general)
- Helping people process what has happened (general)
- Coming along side of those in crisis (general)
- Is Your Church Ready to be a First Responder?
Help With Preaching, Teaching, Devotionals
- Walk the Walk Even When It Hurts Devotional from Ministry Tools Resource Center
- God in the face of disaster, Psalm 66 - Sermon
Help Children & Youth Process Natural Disasters
- 7 Ways to Bring your Children Peace After a Natural Disaster
- 8 Things You Should and Shouldn’t Say When Responding to Disaster
- Are You Disaster-Prepared?
- Do Your Teachers Know How to Help Students in Crisis?
- Talking to Children About Disaster - a disaster that happened somewhere else
- Talking to Children About Disaster - directly effected by a disaster
- Where is God? Children and Grief
- The Youth Worker's Guide for Helping Teenagers in Crisis by Rich Van Pelt, Jim Hancock
Training for Bible Teachers:
Miscellaneous Ideas About Helping
- How Should Churches Respond to Hurricanes?
- How to Provide Spiritual and Emotional Care in the Wake of Natural Disasters
Christian Relief Agencies
- God and the Victim by Lisa Barnes Lampman, Editor
- Helping a Neighbor in Crises by Lisa Barnes Lampman, Editor
Help children, youth, and parents process school violence and shootings.
- How Could a Loving God ... ?
- How to Talk with Your Kids and Teenagers About School Shootings
- School Violence: Can You Keep Your Kids Safe?
- School Violence: How Can We Keep Our Children Safe?
- Talking with Children about School Shootings
- The Church's Response to Evil Acts
- The "missing link" to school violence?
- Protecting Your Child through Prayer by Karen Scalf Linamen
- No More Victims Booklet by Frank Peretti
Training for Bible Teachers:
About Crisis Intervention
- What Constitutes a Crisis?
- Precipitating events & resources to help
- Intensifying factors in a crisis
- How to help people in crisis
- What if the person is depressed or suicidal?
- Comforting Children in Crisis by Group Publishing
- Comforting Friends in Crisis (Adults) by Group Publishing
- Comforting Teens in Crisis by Group Publishing
- Comforting Women in Crisis by Group Publishing
- The Complete Guide to Crisis & Trauma Counseling: What to Do and Say When It Matters Most! by Dr. H. Norman Wright
Answering the Questions: Where is God? Why?
- 10 Reasons to Believe in a God Who Allows Suffering
- Death and Suffering Questions and Answers
- Don't Just Survive, Thrive: Need for Perspective
- Good God - Bad World? How Can That Be?
- When Bad Things Happen
- When Tragedy Strikes: Finding Security In A Vulnerable World
- Why Does God Allow Tragedy and Suffering?
- A Grace Disguised by Gerald Sittser
- A Grief Observed by C. S. Lewis
- Disappointment with God by Philip Yance
- If God Is Good . . . Faith in the Midst of Suffering and Evil by Randy Alcorn
- Looking Up When Life is Looking Down by Beth Moore
- Reaching for the Invisible God: What Can We Expect to Find? by Philip Yancey
- Second Guessing God: Hanging On When You Can't See His Plan by Brian Jones
- Shattered Dreams: God's Unexpected Path to Joy by Larry Crabb
- Where is God When It Hurts by Philip Yancey
- Why? Trusting God When You Don't Understand by Anne Graham Lotz
- When Tragedy Strikes by Charles Stanley
May the God of all comfort work through His people to reach into lives with His love and grace in their time of great need.