Varying shades of yellow, brown, red, purple … the colors of fall foliage.
Use these colors on a bulletin board and we have stepped into autumn.
Bible Verses with the Word “Autumn”:
The word “autumn” is only used once in Scripture in Jude 1:12 referring to false teachers as “clouds without rain, blown along by the wind; autumn trees, without fruit and uprooted — twice dead.” Some translations refer to autumn rains (Deut. 11:14; Ps. 84:6; Jer. 5:24; Joel 2:23; James 5:7) but the original language is actually “early rains” meaning those that fell from October on. Of those verses, James 5:7 would probably be the most appropriate for a bulletin board verse.
Be patient, then, brothers, until the Lord’s coming. See how the farmer waits for the land to yield its valuable crop and how patient he is for the autumn and spring rains.
Bible Verses Related to the Fall Season:
Since Scripture doesn’t provide a lot of verses with the word “autumn” we will have to turn to related verses such as those with the concept of harvest, a fall phenomenon. You will find plenty of verses about the harvest but some that are more appropriate for a bulletin board include the following:
As long as the earth endures, seedtime and harvest, cold and heat, summer and winter, day and night will never cease. (Gen. 8:22)
The land yields its harvest; God, our God, blesses us. (Ps. 67:6)
Faithfulness springs forth from the earth, and righteousness looks down from heaven. The LORD will indeed give what is good, and our land will yield its harvest. (Ps. 85:11-12)
Go to the ant . . . yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. (Prov. 6:8)
He who gathers crops in summer is a prudent son, but he who sleeps during harvest is a disgraceful son (Prov. 10:5)
From the fruit of their mouth a person’s stomach is filled; with the harvest of their lips they are satisfied. (Prov. 18:20)
Sluggards do not plow in season; so at harvest time they look but find nothing. (Prov. 20:4)
Like snow in summer or rain in harvest, honor is not fitting for a fool. (Prov. 26:1)
Then he said to his disciples, “The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few.” (Matt. 9:37)
Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field. (Matt. 9:38
He told them, “The harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few. Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field. (Lk. 10:2)
Don’t you have a saying, ‘It’s still four months until harvest’? I tell you, open your eyes and look at the fields! They are ripe for harvest. (Jn. 4:35)
Now he who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will also supply and increase your store of seed and will enlarge the harvest of your righteousness. (2 Cor. 9:10)
Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. (Gal. 6:9)
No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it. (Heb. 12:11)
Peacemakers who sow in peace reap a harvest of righteousness. (James 3:18)
You could use a harvest background for these verse such as a field ready to be harvested, haystacks or hay bales, pumpkins, gourds, Indian corn, cornucopia, etc.
You could pull out a theme from the verse around which to gear the board. In these verses you’ll see:
- qualities in God: faithfulness, provider, giver of blessings
- qualities that should be in us: patience, perseverance, prudence
- concept of sowing and reaping
- a world (field) ripe for harvest
Other Bulletin Board Ideas for Autumn:
In addition to fall foliage (fall colored leaves on a tree, leaves falling from the tree, leaves on the ground with a bare tree, leaves in piles, leaves being raked) and harvest, you could also design a board around events that occur in the fall …
i.e., the start of a new Sunday School year and/or other ministries starting up in the fall, back to school, a fall festival, and fall holidays.
You can put any Bible verse students are memorizing or that is a key verse for a unit of study for the fall quarter on a background suitable for autumn.
Tips for Fall Bulletin Boards:
- As with any season, be careful with using a play on words if the board is designed for young children. For example, I saw a bulletin board with colored leaves falling off of a tree captioned, “Falling for Jesus.” What does that mean to a preschooler? I saw a different bulletin board titled, “Fall in Love with Jesus” that might be more understandable for a young child but still probably not the most appropriate for them. It would be better to do something simple like, “Thank You God for Fall” or Thank You God for the Beauty of Autumn” if it is being designed for young children.
- Be creative. You can display the verse word by word, in order, on leaves or pumpkins. Or, you could put student names or pictures on these items. You could have students write down a blessing for which they are thankful on a piece of produce to put in a cornucopia or on feathers of a turkey.
More Autumn (Fall) Bulletin Board Resources:
Teacher Training Resource: Make Bulletin Boards SUPER