Effective Prayer Ministry Requires a Passion for Prayer
To have an effective prayer ministry, we need to develop a passion for prayer.
- What's at the root of a passionate prayer ministry and what does a passion for prayer look like? (this post)
- How do we cultivate a passion for prayer in others? (click link to read)
What passionate prayer is not:
Passionate prayer is not emotion-driven. Although emotion may be present, passion in prayer is not merely an emotional expression nor does it flow from feelings alone.
Some personalities are more feeling based than others. Because someone doesn't emote in their prayers, it doesn't necessarily mean they aren't passionate.
----- Don't judge people based on their emotional expression.
Passionate prayer is not always impressive. High-sounding spiritual words or rhetoric may not be a part of this kind of prayer.
Someone who doesn't know Christian lingo can still engage in passionate prayer.
----- Don't judge people based on their eloquence or lack thereof.
Note: If people sense that they may be judged in these ways, they will shy away from praying aloud.
What passion for prayer includes:
A devotion to prayer: being faithful and diligent in it; a commitment; a priority
Acts 2:42; Romans 12:12; Luke 18:1; Colossians 4:2
An attentiveness in prayer: being alert, watchful, clear-minded, self-controlled
Ephesians 6:18; Colossians 4:2; 1 Peter 4:7
A persistence in prayer: never giving up, always keeping on, continual
Luke 18:1; Ephesians 6:18; 1 Thessalonians 5:17; Matthew 7:7; Psalm 55:16-17
A fervency in prayer: being zealous; an enthusiasm or energy
A Spirit-propelled effort to prayer: walking in the Spirit; a motivation, a power-source
Ephesians 6:18; Romans 8:26-27
A wholehearted attitude toward prayer: seeking and loving Him with all of who you are
Jeremiah 29:12-13; Matthew 22:37
A faith-driven expectancy in prayer: being thankful before getting an answer; an anticipation
Colossians 4:2; Mark 11:24
A purpose in prayer: lining up with His will; a meaningfulness
Matthew 6:7-13; 1 John 5:14
What is at the root of a passionate prayer ministry:
It is not good to have zeal without knowledge, nor to be hasty and miss the way. (Prov. 19:2)
Passion in prayer needs to grow out of knowledge -- both head and heart knowledge.
- knowledge of who He is: His character
God is fully capable of answering our prayers.
- knowledge of how He works: His ways
God cares about us. Our good is at the core of His love for us and will affect how He answers our prayers.
- knowledge of what He says: His Word
God will always be consistent with His Word in the way He responds to prayer.
Also Read: Cultivating a Passion for Prayer
In addition to this content, the Prayer Ministry Manual guides you in developing a passion for God which will in turn lead to a passion for prayer.
- Effectiveness in Prayer Requires Personal Relationship
- Effectiveness in Prayer Requires Having the Right Purposes for Praying
- Effectiveness in Prayer Requires A Passion for Prayer (this post)
- Effectiveness in Prayer Requires that it is a Priority
- Effectiveness in Prayer Requires Adherence to Biblical Principles
- Effectiveness in Prayer Requires and Results in Power
- Effectiveness in Prayer Requires that it be a Permanent Practice
- Planning Strategies for Effective Corporate Prayer
- Preparing Others to Join Your Prayer Efforts
- Promoting Prayer Successfully