Learn About Spiritual Gifts
Frequently Asked Questions About Spiritual Gifting
Perhaps the first question we should ask is:
Why should we learn about spiritual gifts?
God stresses the importance of spiritual gifts as evidenced by the amount of space given to this topic in the New Testament. If something matters to God, shouldn't it also be important to us?
If that doesn't convince you of why you should learn about spiritual gifting, here are some other good reasons:
- Spiritual gifts are part of God's design for the growth of the church.
God designed the church to grow as everybody does their part according to Ephesians 4:16. Click below to read more about this verse:
- One Verse Says It All
- God's Goals for the Church & Plan for Reaching Those Goals
- Connected for a Purpose
- Spiritual gifts have pragmatic value.
Needs are met when we serve one another through the use of our spiritual gifts. Effective ministry therefore demands that we understand and use our gifts. Click below to read more about the practical side of everybody doing their part in this way.
- What Happens When We Use Our Spiritual Gifts?
- An Example of If Everybody Did Their Part in VBS
- An Example of How Everybody Can Have a Part in Helping the Homeless
- Spiritual gifts are God's power source for us to do ministry.
When we use the gifts we have been given, God is at work (1 Cor. 12:6). "Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God's grace in its various forms. If anyone speaks, they should do so as one who speaks the very words of God. If anyone serves, they should do so with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. ..." (1 Pet. 4:10-11) Click below to read about God's power needed to effectively serve.
- The Power of God at Work in the Church
- Ministry Empowerment: Serving in the Power of an Almighty God
FAQ About Spiritual Gifts:
Click on a question below to learn more.
- When people say we should discover our spiritual gifts, what do they mean?
- Why is it important for Christians to know their gifts?
- Why do different Bible scholars come up with varying numbers of gifts?
- How should the gifts be categorized?
- What is the difference between talents, natural abilities, and spiritual gifts?
- What is the difference between spiritual gifts and spiritual fruit?
- When does a person receive his/her spiritual gift(s)?
- Must gifts be developed?
- Can I lose my gifts?
- What is meant by the term "gift-mix"?
- Why do some people have only one gift while others have several gifts?
- If all believers have at least one gift, why don't they evidence it?
- Does the exercise of certain gifts make a person more spiritual?
- How valid are spiritual gifts tests?
- If a person doesn't have a certain gift, is he/she exempt from ministry that uses that gift?
- What is the best book on spiritual gifts?