FAQ About Spiritual Gifts
We can answer many frequently asked questions with specific Scripture verses, perhaps even commands. But, some responses require a look at the broader teaching of God's Word for principles or precedents. As a result different biblical scholars arrive at varying conclusions.
Ask God to guide your thinking and where He does not provide an absolute, try not to get dogmatic. Too many divisions among God's people revolve around those kinds of interpretive issues.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) About the Nature of Spiritual Gifting:
- Why learn about spiritual gifts?
- How does the Bible define spiritual gifts?
- What is the difference between natural talents (human abilities) and spiritual gifts?
- What is the difference between spiritual gifts and spiritual fruit (the fruit of the Spirit)?
- What's the purpose of spiritual gifts?
- What are the different spiritual gifts?
- Why do different Bible scholars come up with varying numbers of gifts?
- How should the gifts be categorized?
- What is meant by the term "gift-mix"?
- What is the best book on spiritual gifts?
FAQ About the Impartation or Distribution of Spiritual Gifts:
- When does a person receive his/her spiritual gift(s)?
- Can I lose my gifts?
- Why do some people have only one gift while others have several gifts?
- Are children given spiritual gifts?
FAQ About Identifying or Discovering Spiritual Gifts:
- When people say we should discover our spiritual gifts, what do they mean?
- How can I discover what gift(s) I might have?
- Where can I take a spiritual gifts test?
- How valid are spiritual gifts tests?
FAQ About Using Gifts:
- If all believers have at least one gift, why don't they evidence it? (upcoming post)
- If a person doesn't have a certain gift, is he/she exempt from ministry that uses that gift? (upcoming post)
- Must gifts be developed?
- Are spiritual gifts a sign of spirituality?
- Where can I get help with what ministries us my gifts?
- What does it look like when the different gifts are being used?
- What will it take to get our church body to operate within the sphere of spiritual gifting?