God’s equipping plan involves spiritually gifted Trainers using the Textbook authored by God Himself, the Bible, depending on His Spirit to work in and through them to train people for ministry.
So Christ himself gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the pastors and teachers, to equip his people for works of service … (Eph. 4:11-12a)
When we follow God’s plan, the outcome yields eternal good as described in what follows the above verses.
so that the body of Christ may be built up until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ. Then we will no longer be infants, tossed back and forth by the waves, and blown here and there by every wind of teaching and by the cunning and craftiness of people in their deceitful scheming. Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will grow to become in every respect the mature body of him who is the head, that is, Christ. From him the whole body, joined and held together by every supporting ligament, grows and builds itself up in love, as each part does its work. (Eph. 4:12-16)
What are God’s Equipping Objectives?
People equipped to do ministry God’s way have a role in reaching the following objectives seen in Ephesians 4:12-16:
Objective #1: the building up of the whole Body to become spiritually mature and discerning, becoming more and more Christ-like in all aspects, holding to God’s Truth and loving as He loves
- Environment Conducive to Spiritual Growth
- Motivation to Grow in the Christian Life
- Spiritual Growth: Overview
Objective #2: the Headship of Christ wherein we not only find our connection with one another but reflect Him and let Him control every aspect of what we do
Objective #3: the effective working of individual members of the Body to do their part
God’s Equipping Objectives Elevate Ministry Training
When we understand that God’s goals for equipping people go beyond the skill level of individual teachers, leaders, and workers, to the effect they have on building up the whole Body and the supremacy of Christ in our midst, ministry training takes on an added importance.
- We need to make sure the agenda for our ministry training lines up with God’s equipping objectives so we truly help people do ministry God’s way.
- We need to invest sufficient prayer, purpose, and preparation in planning the training, rather than slipping into haphazard or sporadic efforts.
- We need to build in a sense of accountability for ministry workers to participate in training opportunities, helping them grasp the big picture God has in their equipping.
The next post will provide some additional tips for ministry training.
For Help with Training: Ministry Training Resources