I’ve been asked on several occassions how I arrived at the definitions on the site for spiritual gifts so I thought I would share it with everyone.
The process I used to arrive at a general definition included:
- studying the Bible for what it says about spiritual gifts using Romans 12, 1 Corinthians 12, Ephesians 4, and 1 Peter 4
- breaking that study down into specific truths and principles about spiritual gifting
- bringing those parts together in a more abbreviated and cohesive form
A Spiritual Gift is a special divine empowerment bestowed on each believer by the Holy Spirit to accomplish a given ministry God’s way according to His grace and discernment to be used within the context of the Body of Christ.
The process I used to arrive at definitions for specific spiritual gifts grew out of that study and included:
- listing all the gifts found in the key Scripture passages pertaining to spiritual gifts
- doing a word study for each of those gifts by looking at the original Greek language
- pulling elements from that study into a workable definition for each of the gifts
The result of such a study is what you will find on the Spiritual Gifts List & Definitions page on the site. Looking at the original language provides much insight. You don’t need to know Greek to do a word study as you can find much help simply by using Strong’s Exhaustive Concordance and Vine’s Expository Dictionary (links will take you to affiliate store). The objective in this study, and any study of God’s Word, is to try to arrive at God’s intent.